Monday 28 December 2020

2020 Awards: Introduction

In line with the very different year that 2020 has been, my annual awards will also be very different this year. Although I continued seeing shows and going to events at my usual rate through January and February, the lockdown from mid-March 2020 meant that at a stroke sixteen live events (theatre, music, conventions/signings)  that I was booked for were either cancelled, or posponed several times (before in many cases being cancelled entirely). I have also managed only one 'Sherlockian Sojourn' which was only a few miles from home [but have loads planned for the next few years], and one signing event since March.   [Not going to Liverpool Comic Con in early March to meet Frank Welker, voice of Toby and Felicia in 'The Great Mouse Detective', on financial grounds, remains my main regret, as with all the cancelled events I could have afforded to do so several times over]

However, I have attended a large number of online events, including several Sherlockian meetings/conferences in the United States that would previously have been beyond my reach. 'National Theatre Live' and 'The Shows Must Go On' on YouTube have allowed me to revisit some favourite live performances, as well as allowing me to see productions that I previously missed. I have also seen a variety of online Sherlockian performances, including a large number featuring the amazing Jonathan Goodwin as Holmes.

My awards will continue to focus on 'Doctor Who', 'Sherlock Holmes' and 'Theatre', but will be broken down into live and online categories, displaying some of the highlights of a difficult year.

No comments:

Post a Comment