Wednesday 4 April 2018

Sherlockian Sojourns #10: ‘Something’s Fishy’

As a curtain-raiser to my planned tour of ‘The Abominable Bride’ locations, I decided to recreate the denouement of ‘The Six Thatchers’ by visiting the SEA LIFE London Aquarium on one of its ‘Lates’ events. I had got a deal advertised in ‘Time Out’ so was not able to go in until 8.30pm. I therefore spent the time between work and my booked entry time watching ‘Black Panther’ at a cinema by work, before catching a bus to the far-side of Vauxhall Bridge where Sherlock has his sudden epiphany and rushes off to the Aquarium.




Having taken a photo, I was a short distance down Milbank before realising that Sherlock had run the other way across the bridge, and I was on the wrong bank of the Thames. Retracing my steps, I was soon rushing along the South Bank until I reached Westminster Bridge, where I had to climb up to the bridge, dash across two lanes of traffic and go back down to join the South Bank on the other side. A short distance along, I joined a short queue for entry.




My bag having been checked and then placed in the cloakroom with my coat, I made my way into the Aquarium, picking up a glass of Prosecco and crossing a glass bridge with sharks and fish swimming below. It was here that a complimentary photograph was taken using a camera with a light so bright it could probably be seen outside.


On the other side of the bridge, I caught a lift down to the Aquarium proper, where I slowly made my way round. Not having checked screenshots online before going, I found myself taking photos of any tank that might have been the one Mary gets shot in front of. However, I soon recognised the tunnel that Sherlock runs through and sure enough the tank on the other side was the correct one.





Unfortunately this tank along with the others was surrounded by other participants sitting and drinking alcohol from the several bars that had been set up for the night, blocking any attempt for me to get a clear shot (If only Mary had had the same problem).






I finally found myself in the Jellyfish area which included information on the ‘Lion’s Mane’ jellyfish. 



Having walked around this and a new Rainforest area, and it being only fifteen minutes until closing time, I made my way out through the shop, to beat the rush in picking up my cloakroom items.

No comments:

Post a Comment