Sunday 20 May 2018

REVIEW: Sherlock Gnomes (2018)


   Sherlock Gnomes (2018)










I have been looking forward to this sequel to 'Gnomeo and Juliet' for several years since it was first announced. So did it disappoint ?  Certainly not, with a plethora of canonical references and a few to the BBCs 'Sherlock', I was in fan heaven, from the 'Storybook' opening. Johnny Depp, voicing Sherlock, was surprisingly restrained, and I really enjoyed Chiwetel Ejiofor as Watson. The film-makers also seem to subscribe to my belief that the stories are not detective stories, but instead stories about a detective (and his best friend).


Jamie Demetriou voicing Moriarty, seemed to be channelling Andrew Scott, and once I got over the character's bizarre appearance, I really enjoyed his scenes. I also enjoyed Mary J. Blige as Sherlock's ex, Irene, but would have liked her to have more scenes (also her song was all too brief). Emily Blunt and James McAvoy reprised their roles (I don't remember being as irritated by McAvoy's Gnomeo voice first time around), but the original film's supporting cast (Maggie Smith, Michael Caine, Stephen Merchant, Ozzy Osbourne) had little to do. However, Matt Lucas was very funny, in a double act with Ashley Jensen. I was also pleased to see a number of my favourite actors' names in the credits - Dexter Fletcher,  Stephen Wight and Dan Starkey. All this and the music of Elton John !!!!

The story took the characters around the sites of London, ending in a clash on a iconic London landmark (very 'Basil the Great Mouse Detective').

Definitely recommended, and I will be getting the DVD (if only to freeze-frame to spot other references).


Rating:   (5/5) 

No comments:

Post a Comment