Wednesday 16 November 2022

REVIEW: 'Enola Holmes 2' (Netflix)

REVIEW: 'Enola Holmes 2'  (Netflix)


 


 

Having enjoyed the first 'Enola Holmes' film, in the main (click here for my review), I was looking forward to 'Enola Holmes 2', particularly on learning that Sam Clafin's Mycroft was not in the sequel. So what did I think ?  Henry Cavill's Holmes seems to have improved, and I was pleased that so many characters from the first film returned  (unlike the first film which was a dramatisation of the first book 'The Case of the Missing Marquess', the sequel is an original story). It also introduces two other canonical characters (one in a mid-credits scene) boding well for any third instalment. Enola's asides to camera, one of the highlights of the first film, were back in force, and I enjoyed Millie Bobby Brown's performance. I also enjoyed the love stories threaded through the film. It also starts right in the action with a chase through the streets of Hull's Old Town doubling for London. David Thewlis also seems to be having a lot of fun as the corupt Police Superintendent blocking Enola's investigations.

I must admit to some confusion over dates, as in the first film which seemingly gave 1884 as both the year of Enola's birth and the year that the film was taking place.The sequel claims to be set in 1885, but features the real-life matchgirl strike of 1888, and another incident that in fact took place in 1881. However, these are small irritants, in what was a very enjoyable two hours, that make me want to dig out my recently acquired complete set of the original 'Enola Holmes' books. (Nancy Springer has written a few more after the success of the first film). Highly recommended.



 

Rating:    (5/5) 

No comments:

Post a Comment