Thursday 17 November 2022

Sherlockian Sojourns #46: “The train steamed off again on its way”

Having spent the morning exploring The Strand, it was time for two mini-sojourns to two canonical railway stations that I had not previously visited, both reachable from Peckham Rye station, and within Zones 2-4.

The first was a fifteen minute ride to Beckenham Hill, which Mr. Melas, the eponymous Greek interpreter, travelled to with Holmes and Watson, in order to revisit the house where he acted as interpreter for the kidnapped Paul Kratides, in an attempt to rescue him and the mysterious Sophy. [GREE]

 


‘It was a quarter to ten before we reached London Bridge, and half past before the four of us alighted on the Beckenham platform’.  [GREE]

 

It was then a fifteen minute journey back to Peckham Rye, where I changed trains, riding twenty minutes to Norbury, where Holmes and Watson travelled to assist Grant Munro in understanding his wife’s strange behaviour and a yellow face seen at a window, in ‘The Yellow Face’. Holmes’ pre-conceived ideas about the case were all proven to be erroneous, with him commenting to Watson, “If it should ever strike you that I am getting a little over-confident in my powers, or giving less pains to a case than it deserves, kindly whisper ‘Norbury’ in my ear, and I shall be infinitely obliged to you.”

 

   

 

‘(Grant Munro) was waiting on the platform (at Norbury) when we stepped out, and we could see in the station lamps that he was very pale, and quivering with agitation’.  [YELL]

 

More photos taken, and I caught a train back to Peckham Rye and the Peckhamplex Cinema where I enjoyed ‘Black Panther: Wakanda Forever’, featuring Martin Freeman. Film completed, I caught a bus home, passing my old workplace of ten years.

No comments:

Post a Comment