Tuesday 31 December 2019

PANTOMIME REVIEW: ‘Cinderella’ – New Wimbledon Theatre (30/12/2019)


I've been going to see the Wimbledon Theatre panto since 1981 without missing a single year. So was this year's a classic year ? Unfortunately not. Despite the best efforts of comedy magician, Pete Firman (returning from his successful appearance in the previous year's 'Aladdin' with Paul Merton), it all fell a little flat. One of the four stars, Pussycat Doll Melody Thornton, did not appear at the performance I attended, with the part of Cinderella being taken by her understudy, Stephanie Elstob (who probably gave a more 'musical theatre' performance than Melody probably would have)   [I assume that Ms. Thornton was ill, but given her egotistical write-up in the programme (seemingly justifying her refusal to be part of the reunited Dolls), she may have considered that it was all beneath her].

As Fairy Godmother, Lesley Garrett made a lot of opera puns and shook the rafters with her operatic take on ' The Impossible Dream', but also seemed to struggle with the script (popping up in the Ball scene to remind Cinders of the midnight curfew that she had failed to mention in Act One). As the evil Stepmother, Samantha Womack seemed to be on autopilot, desperate to get to the end, and not really evil, save in the invitation-ripping scene. I also got fed up with her constant flapping of her paso-doble style skirt. She also took a lot of the focus away from the Sisters, Verruca and Hernia (Leon Craig & Bobby Delaney), and as in the Croydon production I would have preferred a Baron Hardup. Prince Charming (Edward Chitticks) was very good, but kept having his limelight stolen by his camp Dandini (Will Jennings).

Pete Firman was excellent throughout, particularly when doing his magic and in the song-sheet. However, a sentimental duet with a teddy bear left me cold. There was also the lack of a full-cast song such as 'The Twelve Days of Christmas' or 'If I Was Not Upon The Stage'. I did enjoy their version of 'the Bush of Truth' though, and the cleverly rewritten versions of 'Achy Breaky Heart', 'The Shape of You' and 'I Will Survive'.




I know I went to see this late in the run, but I expected more: ***


No comments:

Post a Comment